Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hello, again!

Well, where did the month go? It is now mid June and my last post was the 1st of May? Oops! Well I have been traveling and having visitors these past few weeks which have kept me really busy. I went to SF for Bay to Breakers, KC for a wedding and ran a Half Marathon.


Bay to Breakers is a race in SF that they do every year. It was the 101st race which tells you how much of a tradition it is. On top of the race it has become more of a costume drinking spectacle throughout the route which is really neat since I love races and a drink or two. Every group has a theme and ours was Pamplona.  I had been wanting to attend this for years and finally got the chance too. My friends D,C and Y all dressed up and went to Alamo Square (which is also where the Full House is) and met up with our friends. It was a perfect sunny day with lots of weirdness and ridiculousness which is right up my alley. Hey, it's SF what else would you expect from the city.We day drinked and went to different bars throughout the city. I plan on attending B2B every year from now on, it is that much fun.

I went to Kansas City for my dear friend Danielle's wedding. It had been since 2009 since I had been back to KC and it was a trip down memory lane. I really missed life there and how simple things are. I even thought to myself I could live there but that thought was short lived when I realized the closest lululemon was 45 mins away. Just Kidding. I ventured around the Plaza and went to the old bars we used to go to in college. The Plaza is made to look like Sevilla, Spain  (KC is the sister city to Sevilla - where I also studied abroad) so there are fountains everywhere and the architecture is Spanish. It does feel like a little slice of heaven. It is full of bars, restaurants and shopping. I wouldn't mind living there for a year or two.

Danielle and Bjorn's wedding was absolutely beautiful. It was held at Danielle's house which was a perfect setting for it! Everything worked out perfectly and the bride was BEAUTIFUL. They had been dating since college so it was a really wonderful thing to see how they had grown together since Sr. year. Where did the time go and why are all my friends getting married? This was the big contrast I experienced going back to the Midwest because everyone was either engaged, married and or with kids (yes multiple). It almost made me want one of those shiny things you put on your left hand but then I realized my life is fun and that I get to do what I want when I want and I'm going to keep doing that a little while longer.


Time: 2:17:50.1
Half Marathon! Well this was a decision made 3 days before the race. Am I crazy? Perhaps but since I had already ran one earlier this year I knew what to expect. I ran it with my friend Joe who DOMINATED the race with a time of 1:40:00 and I PR'd at 2:17:00 which is 4 minutes faster than my last half. I hadn't even trained for this nor had I run more than 3 miles since my half.

The Ventura Beach Front Half Marathon was about 700 people total including the 5K which is a stark difference between the Surf City where there were thousands. This route wasn't roped off for the runners per say and at times I felt almost unsafe since the majority of it was along the PCH. There were only two porta potties throughout the entire race which was really shocking since the last one had them everywhere. Since the route started at the Ventura County Pier they had a great little set up before the race with a few booths. The race started at 7AM and at 8AM pending your designated time to finish. I was a lot more resilient this time around and my body wasn't as sore either. I had a runners high the ENTIRE day and didn't want to sit down as I was amped to run again. Again, CRAZY.

I am signed up for the Big Sur Half Marathon in November and want to run one sooner than that and actually train. Both of my past half experiences deal with me almost dying (see why here) and no training so I bet with training and a healthy body I know I can run it under 2:15 easily. Eventually my goal is to be under 2 hours and maybe even a Hail Mary?

All in all, it has been a great start to the summer and I can't wait for June gloom to die off and my parents to come this weekend. Also, my mid summer resolution is to take Ballet classes at least once a week starting today. I just can't decide to do a beginners with point shoes (read it has been since 2007 that my feet have been in those monsters) or advanced. I've been inspired as of late thanks to the new shows "Breaking Pointe" and "Bunheads." They are pretty cheesy but if you were once a dancer you would appreciate them.





2 comments:

  1. Wow congrats, trooper! That mustave been a long run! :)

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com
    I'm having a $50 Shabby Apple Gift Card Giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! Yes, 13 is a bit of a ways but also a good way to get lost in your thoughts. :)

      Delete