Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oh Heavenly Day

Is there one artist that you can listen to over and over and you have been listening to them for years? Patty Griffin has been one of my favorite singers since high school. Unfortunately, I have never seen her. Our paths have only crossed once and I missed her session. Tragic. Her song, Heavenly Day, is simply ah-maaazing. Her songs feel like you just stepped into a very private moment. It almost makes you feel uncomfortable when you are listening to them as if we are being read out loud her diary. Every word, every melody just resonates. 

Oh heavenly day, all the clouds blew away
Got no trouble today with anyone
The smile on your face I live only to see
It's enough for me, baby, it's enough for me
Oh, heavenly day, heavenly day, heavenly day

 

She has a few albums out and has a folkish vibe to her. Her songs are quite therapeutic. They deal with self sacrifice, heartache, love, loss and allows you to go to places you wouldn't necessarily want too when dealing with all of that. A lot of her songs have been covered by big name artists such as the Dixie Chicks, Emmylou Harris, Bette Midler and yes even Jessica Simpson (remember that song Let Him Fly? yeah that wasn't hers). Another song that tugs at my heart is called Forgiveness. It exudes rawness and purity and vulnerability. She hurts. She heals. She is human.

Open your eyes, boy, we made it through the night
Let's take a walk on the bridge
Right over this mess
Don't need to tell me a thing, baby
We've already confessed
And I raised my voice to the air
And we were blessed
Everybody needs a little forgiveness

 
Everyone does need forgiveness. It only hurts yourself if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment